Shopping for a home, condo, foreclosure or other real estate can be fun but few people relish the idea of buying insurance. Use our quick tips on buying the right insurance to make sure you get the coverage you need at the best price possible.
1. Ask the agent for specifics about the home. A good insurance agent will be happy to supply all the information and data required to obtain an insurance quote…just ask. Common questions will include the square footage of the home, age, type of construction, amenities, distance from a fire department and other pertinent information such as upgrades or repairs. Remember, different types of real estate in Tampa Bay, FL may require different insurance coverage. For example:
• Single family homeowner’s policy
• Rental Policies
• Condo insurance
• Small business insurance
• Farm insurance
• Construction or Temporary policies
2. Call for quotes. Always obtain at least three quotes when searching for coverage. Especially in Tampa or other areas of Florida, insurance companies often are able to write only a certain number of new policies each year so it is possible the rates or availability may have changed by the time you close on the home.
3. Get a C.L.U.E. report. Insurance companies typically pull a C.L.U.E. report to find out the claims history on a home. Although buyers are not able to pull their own report, many agents are more than willing to share the report with you if requested.